Kari's Law - Is Your Company Ready?
March 6th, 2020 by admin
On February 16th, 2020, Kari's Law and the Ray Baum Act went into effect. We are sending this to ensure your company understands the requirements and the steps to take so your business is compliant.
Kari's Law and Ray Baum's Act require all multi-line telephone systems (MLTS) to enable:
- direct dialing to 9-1-1
- direct routing to a 9-1-1 center
- On-site notification of a call that includes a detailed “dispatchable location” to decrease the response time of EMS personnel. This requirement would include room number or floor number if the call is placed from a hotel.
- Failure to comply with the law could lead to a fine of up to $10,000 and additional penalties up to $500 per day.
Here are some questions to help your business get ready for compliance:
- Can end-users direct dial 911 without the need to dial an access code("9" to dial out) first?
- Have you accurately mapped user endpoint locations, including address, building, floor, room?
- Have you tested 911 across all endpoints?
- Do you have a plan for virtual workers and satellite offices?
- Are notifications set up to notify the necessary personnel in the event of an emergency?
The deadline for your business to be compliant with the new laws are:
- Fixed Phones (physical phones that are fixed in an office) must meet the requirements by January 6th, 2021
- Non-fixed (Softphones or IP phones) must meet the requirements by January 6th, 2022
- Remote phones for traveling or employees working from home must meet the requirements by January 6th, 2022.
If your company needs help meeting the requirements, or would like more information, please contact COMMWORLD. We will work to ensure your business is compliant with the new laws.
This article is intended to provide you with general information regarding the new 911 laws and is not intended to provide specific legal or business advice. If you have any questions about new laws or you need legal advice, we recommend that you contact your attorney.
Posted in: Help